Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
AlanC

UK
2700 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon D1X in action"

AlanC Basic Member
Fri 29-Jun-01 04:06 PM

BJ - As you may know, the D1 has an anti-aliasing filter in front of the CCD that effectively blurs things just enough to take out the moire. There's a nice example that shows the effect of this type of filter at: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/cameras/dcsTech/antiAliasingFilter/antiAliasing.jhtml.

On rare occasions I've noticed a very slight moire in D1 photos - typically showing up in hair and certain types of fabrics, but you've really got to look closely to see it.

Vic - I've been playing with that D1x NEF too, and it looks mighty impressive....

If you're going to give a D1 a go then make sure you try RAW/NEF mode since the colour and amount of detail are superior to the JPEG or TIFF modes. Also give QImagePro (http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/) a try: it's interface isn't as good as Bibble's, but you may prefer the output - I certainly do.

You'll probably find you need to fiddle with the settings of both programs to get things looking just how you want. When you use the defaults Bibble may look a bit dark in the shadows, while QImage is a touch under saturated for my taste.

If you end up getting a D1x then you'll definitely be going past 8"x10" - and I'll be green with envy!

Alan.

This is a hot, active topic! Nikon D1X in action [View all] , Vic , Sat 23-Jun-01 10:56 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D1X in action