Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I love Nikon but they are KILLING me...

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: I love Nikon but they are KILLING me..."

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Wed 17-Oct-12 12:59 PM | edited Wed 17-Oct-12 01:06 PM by KnightPhoto

No - the A99 is only 6fps. I think their 10fps mode is only when shooting 1.5 crop (they call, it "telezoom mode"). So the A99 basically has the same fps as the D600.

A77 they dropped down to 12 bit so it doesn't count or it counts only in the same way the D300 did.

So my point is Sony has not cracked this nut. I don't think Canon has either. No manufacturer has a 24mp or up, 14 bit, 10 fps unit as far as I'm aware. And I think they would if they could, but they're bumping into a constraint. If it was just pure computing power they could drop in two/four/whatever EXPEED3 units and brute force their way through. But nobody is doing it because, and this is my speculation, it ain't that simple. And you can bet Canikon or Sony would be doing it if they could. So my sense is, we are waiting for next generation for this. Sure they are working on it, and by some point they will give us video speeds at full frame - e.g. 24, 25, 30, 50, 60, and 120fps.

(Edit: the 1D X can do 14fps/18mp without autofocus for 252mp per second, so it is at the top speed we are talking about but is a brand new purpose built sensor, but it still isn't at the higher mp that you want in a sensor).

Anyhow, in the interim with all the serious shooting that you do, I think you might as well rent a D4 and see for yourself if the mp is actually going to be a limiting factor for your results. If you read Neil's posts here at Nikonians over recent times, he is saying that us action guys (wildlife, sports) don't get the benefit of full res anyways due to motion blur at the pixel level (he is much more eloquent) and that a 24mp sensor (the topic was D400) is not going to give us "what we think it will".

Our next chance to understand whether manufacturers can overcome current constraints is the D400 fps (and the 7Dii). Can they get it up to 10fps? It is going to be very interesting to see. I vote for the 16fps mirrorless D400

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

This is a hot, active topic! I love Nikon but they are KILLING me... [View all] , PerroneFord Silver Member , Thu 20-Sep-12 08:02 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: I love Nikon but they are KILLING me...