Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
archivue

Paris, FR
5525 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D3x..."

archivue Registered since 26th Mar 2002
Wed 12-Sep-12 07:15 AM

Well, the absence of comments might mean that people who have a D3x (like me), are happy with it...
At first there was a general "bashing" on this model because of it's price, so maybe those who could have one didn't go boasting on forums and kept the habit
Then, others, here and there, argued about it's great color quality and IQ and of course the higher MP count countered by the ISO "ceiling" and the lack of video.
Labelled as "studio" camera vs the photojournalist D3s, this debate is now shifted to the D800/D4 newer models !

My own impression is that bought that camera because I felt it was the last without video (I was right on that point), I "knew" it would be a sort of "niche" camera, but had everything I needed, as I do photography for my pleasure, high ISO (while nice) isn't so important as I seldom use long lenses, nor shoot definite action (sports and such)... I feel that you can go further then 1600 (2400) if you meter right in the camera !

Before, I took the D700 everywhere, now it's the D3x, it's just a bit bulkier and about the same perceived weight. As in all cameras it's the lenses that makes the difference in bulkiness, weight, aggressiveness, I use mostly a few primes and a small zoom and my pictures can be seen in my Flickr gallery in my signature line

I used to have a FM2n, even a M6 or a Bronica SQ, and with the D3x haven't yet felt that it induced a difference in my way of taking pictures (whether good or bad ), apart from having cleaner pictures and a bit of cropping elbow space !!!

Will I keep it for "life" ? Surely not ! But the D4, as the D800 aren't compelling enough for me to change, yet ! Maybe next generation

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

A general, generic topic D3x... [View all] , pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 , Tue 11-Sep-12 05:40 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D3x...