Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How does focus tracking work during burst (D4)

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13617 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: How does focus tracking work during burst (D4) "

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Wed 05-Sep-12 03:44 AM

>>“My question is what happens between shots…”

My understanding is that in dynamic area AF the camera uses a predictive focus to help it pick up your subject each time the mirror is down. I have had many bird-in-flight sequences were I started firing before focus is achieved and the camera usually locks on by the 3 shot or so.

I also see the same issue as you are describing in the OP. Sometimes the “predictive” AF is not so accurate so the camera must find the subject again and sometimes it misses for a shot or two.

A custom setting you may want to experiment with at the next soccer game is Focus Tracking with Lock On. This setting tells the camera how long to wait after losing your subject before looking for a new subject. Try setting it to a longer setting and see if it helps.

I am not so sure about using the 3D focus setting. I think it is best suited for slower moving human (it uses face recognition) subjects. A fast moving sport with a lot of people getting bunched together may cause problems. On the other hand it is worth a try.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

A general, generic topic How does focus tracking work during burst (D4) [View all] , Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians , Mon 03-Sep-12 10:03 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How does focus tracking work during burst (D4)
Reply message Where do you find things like the technical guide
     Reply message RE: Where do you find things like the technical guide
               Reply message Nikon Digitutor - Informative