Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How does focus tracking work during burst (D4)

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"How does focus tracking work during burst (D4) "

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Tue 04-Sep-12 12:03 AM

I tried Soccer for the first time this weekend, and I killed a huge number of photons with out of focus shots; since I never like to torture innocent photons, looking for a better understanding.

Here is what happened repeatedly.

In AF-C, 9 or 21 (tried both) point mode, I would start a burst, say someone making a shot. I would try to track the action during the burst. It would look great in a brief check of the LCD.

Back home what I found is the first few images were in focus, but by maybe #3-#5 focus would shift to something else -- the net in the background, a fence, usually something more distant, occasionally something close.

I fired up ViewNX, and what I saw there was usually good tracking, then 1-2 frames with no focus point, then the focus point on something completely different. Below is a series shown in ViewNX. The top three are in great focus (I know you can't tell), the bottom three are not; by the last one the focus point is on the net.

This particular series was in 9 point. My first thought was I was outside of the 9, but if you look carefully the image directly above the last shows the focus point roughly where the guy's head and/or goalie's foot is.

How does tracking work between shots? Does it re-center to the selected focus point for each shot and track for that fraction of a second? Or does it start where the last focus point was?

I'm thinking 9 is too small, and maybe 21 was as well?

How does A3 (Focus tracking with lock on) work, is that just while focusing or is that also between shots? I was on "3" (Normal) the whole time. There's no real metric provided, not sure what "long" and "short" mean, and experimenting is somewhat hard (to find a predictable target).

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

A general, generic topic How does focus tracking work during burst (D4) [View all] , Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians , Mon 03-Sep-12 10:03 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How does focus tracking work during burst (D4)
Reply message Where do you find things like the technical guide
     Reply message RE: Where do you find things like the technical guide
               Reply message Nikon Digitutor - Informative