Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Can D3s NEFs be changed from sRGB to RGB upon import?

JackJohnson

US
56 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Can D3s NEFs be changed from sRGB to RGB upon import?"

JackJohnson Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Mon 03-Sep-12 03:48 AM

Hi,

Obviously, I'm no color space expert but I have doubts about some of what was written.

If the monitors used to view the images aren't hardware calibrated, the images won't look "correct" on either end regardless of whether it's sRGB, Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB.

How will sRGB or any other standard display correctly on every different monitor on a variety of browsers? It won't. It's out of the photographer's control. If the viewer's monitor is set too high or lacks calibration, the image won't display correctly regardless of the color space.

If the images are being viewed in a workshop, will they be seen using image viewer software on a desktop computer, a laptop computer or will it be online using a web browser? If you're using anything but a web browser, it seems like it would be advantageous to use the higher gamut of Adobe RGB.

Monitors get better every year. Even though there is more variation in how it displays online, I use Adobe RGB. I've viewed my images on PCs and Macs, and I'm satisfied with how they display.

A general, generic topic Can D3s NEFs be changed from sRGB to RGB upon import? [View all] , spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography , Sat 01-Sep-12 03:30 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Can D3s NEFs be changed from sRGB to RGB upon impor...