Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D4 vs. Hurricane (kite and wind surfing in approach of ...

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D4 vs. Hurricane (kite and wind surfing in approach of Isaac)"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Mon 27-Aug-12 05:23 PM | edited Mon 27-Aug-12 05:26 PM by Ferguson

New D4, baptized it in a bit of drizzle at a baseball game a while ago, but decided to really try its weather seal yesterday. I went out to Sanibel Causeway, with Isaac approaching off shore we had about 20-45 kt windows (at a guess), and light to moderate rain.

It was tough to find a good spot, as sand was blowing hard off the beach, so mostly I was at the water's edge as the water blowing hurt less (and would do less damage) than the sand.

I could also only shoot in a limited number of directions; the 200-400 has a great big lens hood that worked great at keeping rain off, provided I did not forget and turn into the wind.

I shot the causeway first (all wind surfers) then moved on to lighthouse point where the kite surfers were (and a whole different wind setup).

The camera performed flawlessly, and a few quick wipes got rid of all the water. The focus performance was terrific, this through wind-blown rain and with the lens itself shaking quite a bit in the wind.

All in all I was very happy to have a professionally sealed camera, and the fast frame rate let me get a few shots just at the point of action I wanted. A very good day.

Here are a few samples. It was a very grey and depressing looking day, I lightened them up and added some saturation. Note that the flat water belies the wind speed, as the wind was blowing from the shore for the kit surfers, and across a small bay for the wind surfers. But the gulls were flying backwards!

All with the D4, 200-400/F4 @ F4, mostly 1/1000th or 1/1200th, ISOs vary between 100 and 300 (I'm starting more and more to use auto-ISO as my "auto" mechanism, and shooting manual otherwise).

All the shots here if interested: SurfingIsaac

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

A general, generic topic D4 vs. Hurricane (kite and wind surfing in approach of ... [View all] , Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians , Mon 27-Aug-12 03:23 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 vs. Hurricane (kite and wind surfing in approach...