Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4955 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D4 RAW Buffer "

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 18-Aug-12 03:02 PM | edited Sat 18-Aug-12 03:16 PM by KnightPhoto

Hi Sharookh,

Was Andy shooting lossless compressed and you are shooting uncompressed? In the real world there is no reason to shoot uncompressed and the advantage is you are able to fit many more RAW shots in the buffer.

On a side note, I find in real-world shooting, it is impossible to actually fill the buffer on the D4 Assuming Andy is able to fit 100 RAW, and he was shooting the 100M dash at the Olympics, he could press the shutter, at the full 10fps clip, right at the start gun and continue firing the entire race at full speed and not fill the buffer!

Seriously, unless I encounter a UFO someday, or something else equally extraordinary happens, a full buffer and the D4 is a condition I have never encountered in 4 months of wildlife and other shooting, so it simply has become a non-issue for me. In a way, this has me thinking that given the XQD card speed is very good from the get-go, I don't really have strong motivation to buy faster XQDs when they come out. But I see on re-reading Linwood below (thanks BTW), a faster XQD will actually extend the approximate 75 shots I am getting today with 14-bit lossless compressed.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

A general, generic topic D4 RAW Buffer [View all] , sharookh mehta , Sat 18-Aug-12 01:02 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 RAW Buffer