Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D4 v D800 at baseball at night each first time

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D4 v D800 at baseball at night each first time"

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Wed 15-Aug-12 01:06 AM | edited Wed 15-Aug-12 01:14 AM by KnightPhoto

Hi Linwood,

What a wonderful resource, I really appreciate you posting them! I went through them twice to get a subjective impression based on what I see in your images and mentally comparing them to images coming out of my D4 that I can relate them to:

- on a subjective basis I think I prefer the D4 overall in low light. At least as I went through the images and said to myself, this image really pops, it was typically a D4 photo. In this case I am also relating it to my D4, which tends to really pop sometimes for me in similar low light situations. I'm pretty sure I am going to really like my D4 as I continue to settle in. I'm 4 months down that path already and I generally feel like it takes me a year to get to know a camera.

- this goes hand in hand with I liked the dramatic light in the low light photos as compared to the ones you were able to shoot at far lower ISOs.

- D800 in some instances had a muddier look. I mean on the subject (personally I thought pretty much all the backgrounds were decent enough IMO at these image sizes). I will volunteer though, that there were at some D4 images that fooled me on first look as I thought they were D800 due to additional noise showing, so clearly if the lighting on a given shot is unfavourable it makes a difference regardless of camera.

- I had a nightmare green photo shoot recently (pretty much my first paid trial with my D4) with an absolutely crazy wb and green cast. In Capture NX 2 I brought WB right down to 2610 Kelvin but importantly did a minus 3 on tint, which in Lightroom probably equates to adding magenta. You might want to try that or something like that where warranted. My PP technique was a real stab in the dark and I freely admit there may yet be other better methods for dealing with this.

- Likewise I don't know if on your D800 you didn't adjust WB in post whereas on D4 you did? Otherwise I would say the D800 auto-WB isn't dealing with the green situation nearly as well as the D4.

- I found some of the 1/160 and 1/200 action a little motion blurred. Through long stair-step experience in theatre as I obtained better and better high ISO cameras (am on my fifth camera now in that venue), I kept pumping up the SS to the point where I have now settled that I try and achieve 1/320 if I can as a base. But I've actually been fairly conservative with my D4 so far, never generally exceeding ISO 5000 and I've been sacrificing shutter speed below my own usual guideline. I've got a third event out of 3 on Friday night and this time I think it's time to break off the chains and let ISO 12,800 into the game. If I don't like it, I can revert to event 1 and 2 for the client, so now is the best time for me to let her rip. Anyhow you shot tons of ISO 6400 and I paid most attention to those and they are most appreciated!

- I can't help but wonder how these two cameras would have fared at 12,800

- I liked that event where the cowboys and cowgirls are running straight at you - cool pictures, really liked these ones!

- I loved all of the team photos in particular. Just so much going on in them that it really held my interest! And clearly looking at your focal lengths some of this action had to be occurring mere paces away from you so you did a remarkable job standing on the rail and framing and focusing for an event coming at you at that kind of speed and violence, very very well done!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

A general, generic topic D4 v D800 at baseball at night each first time [View all] , Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians , Sun 12-Aug-12 10:29 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 v D800 at baseball at night each first time