Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Arthur Laurent

Leesburg, US
533 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D4 AF-C Modes"

Arthur Laurent Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2006
Sat 11-Aug-12 01:53 AM

I separate AF-ON from the shutter release. So it's a two-finger operation.

For the sake of discussion, let's say I'm in CL or CH mode, trying to catch a series on some playing field or other. Let's say there's plenty of light, and a fast (f/2.8 or better) lens. Let's say I'm shooting at 1/1000 second and f/2.8, and using Auto-ISO.

Why would I want to make exposures that weren't in focus? I'm confused by these modes.

As I understand it, the four modes are: (1) Release, which takes a picture any time you press the shutter release, regardless whether it's in focus; (2) Focus + Release, (the manual talks about dark or low-contrast subjects) which gives priority to focus for the first shot in a series, then to frame rate; (3) Release + focus, which starts like #1, though the frame rate will slow to try for improved focus if the subject is dark; and (4) Focus, where an exposure will be made only if the frame in focus.

I've read other places that AF "lock" (though focus never really locks on AF-C) is achieved faster in Focus + Release mode. Is this true? I could see starting a series early, to burn through a frame if it would mean faster focus for the rest.

Thanks for any help.

Arthur

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D4 AF-C Modes [View all] , Arthur Laurent Silver Member , Fri 10-Aug-12 11:53 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 AF-C Modes
Reply message RE: D4 AF-C Modes