Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

EN-EL18 travel charger?

ejeg

Pittsburg, US
16 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: EN-EL18 travel charger?"

ejeg Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Aug 2012
Tue 21-Aug-12 02:13 AM

>Hi Eje,
>
>Given the size of the D4 or any other Nikon Pro DSLR they have
>never really been very travel friendly. More so when combined
>with fast glass and a Speedlight or two.
>The size of the MH-26 or MH-22 doesn't bother me that much.
>If I was worried about the size of the charger, I would travel
>with a smaller DX body and DX glass instead of two or more pro
>FX bodies and fast glass.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

True but to me DSLR, fast glass and a speedlight or two are required, when traveling might bring the SB-700 instead of the SB-900 to save a little on size and weight. But for everything else if I don't need it big and/or heavy I bring it light and small.

I spent lot of extra on a carbon fiber tripod and a carbon fiber monopod with good, sturdy and expensive heads to keep weight or size to a minimum. Why bring a 10lbs tripod if I can bring a equally sturdy 5lbs tripod? When flying these days have to consider what to pack and what not to pack. My back pack (carry on) when I travel usually tops 50lbs. Which is way more than what really is allowed but rarely if ever is anyone check the weight your carry on (which sure is a good thing). If I bring the big D4 charger I have to put it in my check in bag and just waiting for it to get busted by baggage handling. If I put that big thing in my backpack it will cost the room of a speedlight or a lens which I am not really willing to give up. A small travel charger or the size of the D70/80/90 chargers that is smaller than a pack of smokes can easily be squeezed into the backpack and adds minimal weight.

That D800 MB-D12 grip charger might be the ticket. small compact, not the nicest solution but hey will work. The my-charger one would work as well and are nicer solution and actually cheaper so if it get lost or busted I'm only out ~$30-40 compared to $300+ for the MH-26

Blog | Flickr | 500px | Twitter | Nikonians gallery

My Gear Nikon D4, Nikon D200, Nikon IR D80, Tokin 11-16 2.8 DX, Sigma 24-70 2.8, Nikon 50 1.8, Sigma 50-500 4.5-6.3 OS, Tamron 90 2.5 Macro

A general, generic topic EN-EL18 travel charger? [View all] , ejeg Gold Member , Fri 10-Aug-12 02:51 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: EN-EL18 travel charger?
Reply message EN-EL18 travel charger?