Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D4 Crop Factor - Image Area

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D4 Crop Factor - Image Area"

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Wed 08-Aug-12 10:45 PM | edited Wed 08-Aug-12 10:46 PM by jpFoto

Lance

After looking at your equipment list, it appears that you have all FX lenses and no DX lenses, so my answer is based upon that assumption.

If you select "Auto DX crop mode" it will have no affect whatsoever when you use your FX lenses. That selection is strictly for using DX lenses on an FX camera body.

The answer to the rest of your question, if I understand it, and I am not sure that I do, is that if you crop an FX image in post processing to the size of a DX image, it will have approximately 43% of the pixels that the full FX image would have had. So, yes it makes no difference. But since you couldn't have used DX Crop Mode with an FX lens, we should change the assumption to a situation where you are using a DX lens on and FX camera. In that case if you chose not to use DX crop mode and then crop it in post, you would end up with the same pixel count as you would have obtained in DX Crop Mode.

Maybe that wasn't your question.

jP

A general, generic topic D4 Crop Factor - Image Area [View all] , llevine Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 , Wed 08-Aug-12 08:16 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 Crop Factor - Image Area