Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What size CF card to get?

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8056 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What size CF card to get?"

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Sat 04-Aug-12 12:21 AM

Nikon hasn't commented on compressed lossless in about 5 years. At that time they said the compression was virtually lossless. I haven't run tests on the D4 or the D800 to see if things have changed. It is certainly possible that the algorithm has changed, which Nikon uses for "lossless" compression.

Nikon has always said the algorithm is "reversible." The say "no effect on image quality." That, to me, is an interesting choice of words. If it was 100% lossless, I think they would have described it differently.

In the past, when I compared the curves on the same shot, lossless compressed vs. uncompressed nef, the curves were different, in the highlight area, but the same in the shadow area.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't worry about it for the typical shooting. You just can't see the difference with your eyes. Perhaps I'll do some D4 tests when my work load slacks off, but right now I don't have the time.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

A general, generic topic What size CF card to get? [View all] , Arthur Laurent Silver Member , Thu 02-Aug-12 04:13 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What size CF card to get?