Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What size CF card to get?

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5702 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What size CF card to get?"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Fri 03-Aug-12 01:18 PM

>Hi,
>
>today's compression technology is serious science indeed. Yes,
>the lossless compression in NEF is only almost lossless. I
>tested the compression performance in my D3 and the file size
>dropped from 25 MB to 15 MB. I use it all the time.

This is a real surprise to me, so I just went and read hundreds of postings over the years, and I could not find anything really definitive. Some seemed to mix up early compressed (no adjective) with the newer lossy vs. lossless compressed.

Some did it by testing -- taking two images and comparing -- and for the kind of extremely slight variations attributed to lossless loss, I can't see that as ever really working.

The most interesting were discussions of the actual code to de-compress, but that all seemed also to date back to D70 days?

Nikon calls its algorithm "reversible". Generally speaking, unless it lost something in translation, that would imply no loss at all.

Are you SURE that Lossless truly has loss? Has Nikon ever commented?

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

A general, generic topic What size CF card to get? [View all] , Arthur Laurent Silver Member , Thu 02-Aug-12 04:13 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What size CF card to get?