Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
JonK

New York, US
6325 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D3S versus D800"

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Fri 27-Jul-12 02:13 AM

I still haven't used my D800e enough on all the subjects that I shoot. But here's my current thinking…

• Landscapes and other static subjects: the D800e is without peer, no way my D3s or the D4 could match it.
• Extreme low light (I shoot off-Broadway theatre): I shot 500 frames in the basement of a bar, ISO 6400, most at 1/60 sec., f/4-f/5.6. On par with my D3S.
• WIldlife: haven't tried it yet; bird in flight at 5 FPS will be somewhat more difficult than the D3s.
• Sports: going to the Yankee game on Saturday; 5 FPS should be enough most of the time — after all, in the old days we didn't have that much!

Technical thoughts:
• Matrix metering is similar but better. Some shots may be 1/4-1/2 stop higher but there's no clipping, not even in Colorado sunshine.
• Shadow recovery is as awesome as others have reported.
• Auto focus: the jury is still out, need more testing. It is probably better but it is different and that in itself requires some modification of technique in some situations.

Weather (and time) permitting, I hope to shoot and Yankee game Saturday and some street on Sunday. Specifically I'll get to test the more advanced AF modes and also see how the camera behaves for grab or candid shots.

I suspect you have devoured all of the D800 reviews, but I recommend the review by Nasim Mansurov.

This is not a great pic but it's interesting:The room was pitch black, the only illumination was the candle. There really shouldn't be an image at all! ISO 6400, f/2.8 at 1/15 sec., 70-200mm at 70mm, with a one-third exposure boost, some black boost, and some clarity in Lightroom. No NR, default sharpening. My D3s might, just might, have done a bit better but I'm not sure!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

This is a hot, active topic! D3S versus D800 [View all] , Bob Chadwick Silver Member , Thu 26-Jul-12 01:18 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D3S versus D800