Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8057 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: New D4 Today"

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Mon 23-Jul-12 12:33 PM

You're welcome. They responded, and their site is again working. You can now see their tests and conclusions.

There are things I agree with about the way they did their tests and others I don't. There are conclusion with which I agree and others I don't.

I've a friend with the Canon 1Dx. On the same basic tests we concluded the following:

High ISO/Noise - D4
Low light autofocus - D4
Autofocus speed - 1Dx
Autofocus accuracy - D4 (center focus point only) (not in their tests)
Autofocus consistency - D4
Shadow and Highlight recovery - 1Dx
Green Screen - We didn't see it in my D4, and we don't see it in the images.

We tested with various similar lenses and these cameras and concluded that in some cases the Nikon lens with the D4 produced the better photo, and in other cases the Canon lens with the 1Dx made the better photo.

All in all, except for the autofocus in low light test, we thought the 2 cameras were both wonderful, that in most of the tests we were splitting hairs to pick a winner, and that neither of us needed to dump either company's product for the other. There is no clear winner here. Over and over again the history of these two companies is that they leapfrog each other.

We both have substantial investments in lenses and compatible equipment. We saw no reason to waste that investment. If we were starting out, I think it would come down to controls, handling, support, etc. When it comes down to it, both companies produce great DSLR cameras and lenses.

It's like, which is better, Lexus or Acura.

At this point there's so much subjectivity in the testing and the factors which go into a choice there's almost no rhyme or reason to go either way. Anyone for Leica? (LOL)

I know someone who just switched to Nikon from Canon. He had $30,000 in his lens investment, and sold them out for $14,000. He has a great new D4 and a big hole in his pocket. While his new investment as a professional photographer is tax deductible, he still had to shell out the cash. I personally think it was a marginal photography decision at its best, and a terrible business decision at its worst.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

A general, generic topic New D4 Today [View all] , barnesrl Silver Member , Wed 11-Jul-12 12:13 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New D4 Today