Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D2X to D4 transition questions

EpicDan

St. Paul, US
711 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D2X to D4 transition questions"

EpicDan Silver Member Charter Member
Wed 11-Jul-12 12:13 PM

I don't know of any way to migrate configuration from D2X to a D4 except as a manual process. Nikon made changes to the focus logic so you should play with those settings. I never write down my settings but can fairly quickly scroll through the menues and recall what isn't set the way I prefer.

I like the VR implementation in VR-II. It feels less clunky to me on start-up and shut-down. The lens is different optically but in the end the optical differences are not an issue for me - the VR improvement was appreciated. I wouldn't upgrade for the optic differences. The vigneting on your current lens is easly fixed in post and thenew lens isn't perfect either.

Thw 14-24 is an awesome lens. It doesn't mount filters. Lee makes a dedicated ND-Grad filter mount for the lens but production seems slow. I'd opt for the 17-35 if filters are important. I've never had an issue protecting the front element. Use the lens cap. Take the cap off to shoot; keep it on between shots.

The difference between D2X and D3S was huge. I shoot at ISO3200 a lot more than I thought I'd ever need. The cost (noise, loss of dynamic range) is so low in the D3S that it is better to jack up ISO than to risk camera shake. I do a lot of sports and PJ type shooting so tripods are not always an option. Tripods don't stop subject movement.

I'd love to jump to a D4 but the D3S is good enough. NAS hasn't hit me yet.

Daniel McGowan
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D2X to D4 transition questions [View all] , Arthur Laurent Silver Member , Wed 11-Jul-12 02:29 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D2X to D4 transition questions