Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D4 pin bed damage for CF card slot

JimAxelson

Aldergrove, CA
34 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Nikon D4 pin bed damage for CF card slot"

JimAxelson Gold Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2009
Sun 01-Jul-12 01:32 PM | edited Sun 01-Jul-12 01:48 PM by JimAxelson

As a new owner of a D4 I have a most embarassing confession to make. I have set a new standard for stupidity, unfortunately. After using a D300 for about 4 years I decided to make the plunge with the wonderful new D4. After cursory inspection of the manual I headed out to shoot and in short order filled a new 32 GB Sony XQD card and a CF card of same capacity. This is where my troubles began. When I returned home I removed both cards and placed them on my desk. I found the Sony card reader in short order but could not find my Lexar reader. Consequently a couple of hours ensued before I found the reader. Once the data was off loaded I proceeded to insert the CF card into the D4. Well, at this point I realized I had forgotten the proper orientation for the CF card insertion into the D4. At that point I proceeded to insert the card the way it went into my Nikon D300. Logo out, facing me. Oops!! Insertion seemed a bit stiff... so I backed off. I repeated the insertion procedure... this time with more force. Oh no!! Now the camera display at the top is now blinking a message for Card Error. A hasty consultation of the camera manual confirmed my worst fears. Now I had done it... the camera is damaged and has to go back to Nikon. When I called Nikon Service they asked me to look carefully in the pin bay. Sure enough.. In the middle of the two rows of pins were two pins that were neatly bent over. The technician explained the procedure for return and the camera was turned around in just four days by Nikon. Cost. = $775.00. It seems the pin bed resides on the motherboard of the computer. The moral of this story. Read the manual. Do not allow ANYONE unfamiliar with the D4 to insert a CF card and also don't attempt to put a card in if inebriated...I could see this happening during a night of hard partying where the D4 is used heavily and the card fills up. This was a very stupid thing that I did and I share this so no one else falls victim to such a circumstance.

This is a hot, active topic! Nikon D4 pin bed damage for CF card slot [View all] , JimAxelson Gold Member , Sun 01-Jul-12 11:32 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D4 pin bed damage for CF card slot
                    Reply message D4 Pin slot issue
                         Reply message RE: D4 Pin slot issue
                              Reply message RE: D4 Pin slot issue
Reply message D4 Pin Damage -- If purchased on AMEX it would be cove...