Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why don't image files have any camera orientation info?

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Why don't image files have any camera orientation info?"

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Sun 10-Jun-12 06:51 PM | edited Sun 10-Jun-12 07:01 PM by ZoneV

The best way to keep the camera level when shooting sports is practice on your own time. Hold the camera normally, and practice panning at various speeds while keeping it level. Then try to flip as quickly as possible to vertical orientation while rotating exactly by 90 degrees, or as close to that as you can get. Keep practicing these maneuvers, and eventually you will get 95% of your shots within 2 degrees or so of correct orientation.

This is one of those situations where a pro body...with its square shape, good grip, bigger viewfinder, well balanced mass, and vertical grip can really help out.

It also helps to remember that the viewfinder is not just a window you're viewing through, but actually a representation of the final scene, with its borders and orientation.

If it helps, you can also enable the viewfinder gridline feature. Personally, I tend to just go by feel...I can tell when the camera is roughly alinged properly. I shoot very quickly, especially in sports. My camera is almost never still, always panning, and I sometimes even will run up and down the slideline as fast or faster than the players, in order to better follow the action on certain plays (in order to have maximum mobility I shoot with one body, I don't use a monopod, and typically use a relatively compact lens--a 300/4), but I still get the majority of my shots aligned ok. I rarely have to rotate the frame in post. Practice!!

Nikon user since 2000

A general, generic topic Why don't image files have any camera orientation info? [View all] , kj_fi Silver Member , Sun 10-Jun-12 06:22 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Why don't image files have any camera orientation i...