Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why don't image files have any camera orientation info?

kj_fi

Vantaa, FI
326 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Why don't image files have any camera orientation info?"

kj_fi Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2007
Sun 10-Jun-12 05:32 PM

Hi,

thanks to everyone for your comments!

I was looking for a gravity solution, not trying to analyze the picture for the landscape or anything like that. Well, the gravity does not always pull vertically down to the horizon... Anyway, using the virtual horizon is viable for static objects (except that it is behind menus in D3). The point is that it is not an option when shooting sports while looking through the viewfinder.

I shoot girls' soccer a lot - I use monopod - and sometimes I need to catch the action in the field and then I turn the camera so quickly that it is not horizontal when I press the shutter release button. I like to stand on the side line and then the girls run fast by me and my camera.

I might be standing too close sometimes. I had a close call the other evening. While having my eye on the viewfinder the ball hit a player in front of me and passed my head so close that I felt my hair moving!

Best regards,
Kari

A general, generic topic Why don't image files have any camera orientation info? [View all] , kj_fi Silver Member , Sun 10-Jun-12 06:22 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Why don't image files have any camera orientation i...