Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why don't image files have any camera orientation info?

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Why don't image files have any camera orientation info?"

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Sun 10-Jun-12 01:59 PM | edited Sun 10-Jun-12 02:30 PM by ZoneV

The level on the camera body does not really tell you that the horizon is level. Rather, it tells you it is straight in your photo. There is a difference. A straight horizon is not necessarily an absolutely level one.

Further, the orientation sensor has similar limitations the way it's currently implemented.

There are too many variables necessary to determine a level horizon just from picture data alone...you don't really have enough data using a single, tripod-mounted camera. Think about professional surveying techniques, and how they almost always employ multiple points to determine linear orientations. So how would the camera and software really know what level was without sampling at least one other point (preferably two more)? It could guess, but it would probabaly miss often.

Now if you want Nikon to put a directional gyro w/compass into the camera, that'd be a whole different thing. Perhaps one day, the lens's VR system sensors would be sophisticated enough to utilize for this purpose...some day.

Nikon user since 2000

A general, generic topic Why don't image files have any camera orientation info? [View all] , kj_fi Silver Member , Sun 10-Jun-12 06:22 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Why don't image files have any camera orientation i...