Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
drmike1

Louisville, US
150 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D4 Movie Mode"

drmike1 Registered since 22nd Nov 2006
Tue 03-Jul-12 12:19 AM

It would be nice to get a 2mb still from a D4 film, but my "clips" consistently seem to be in the 1mb range. But, they are relatively bland indoor shots of people, so there may only be 1mb of information to capture.

I shoot D4 movies at 24fps (rather than 30fps) to save card space and either A or P mode. But, unless the D4 is set to Manual, the camera's program takes control and dials the ISO way down (to ISO ~560 even indoors) from the ISO I am using for indoor stills (8000 or higher). This means that the other settings are sub-optimal.

I have discovered that D4's Face-Priority Auto-focus in movie mode is buggy. I recently did some oral history and was very disappointed with the results. Despite the camera being mounted on a tripod, the subject being stationary, and the photographer not touching the camera or lens after starting the recording, the D4 engages in persistent auto-focus activity that: (a) moves the focal point slightly forward and back, reducing the quality of the video recording: (b) makes noise, reducing the quality of the audio recording; (c) sometimes changes the exposure value, causing the image to lighten and darken, reducing the quality of the video recording. Similar problems are observed with other video settings.

The poor results can be seen at http://youtu.be/qotGpcy5kFo

DrMike1

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D4 Movie Mode [View all] , drmike1 , Wed 30-May-12 12:29 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 Movie Mode