Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D4 or D800 or both and why?

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D4 or D800 or both and why?"

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Wed 13-Jun-12 04:19 AM | edited Wed 13-Jun-12 06:46 AM by jrp

I chose the D4, because of the type of photography I primarily do; travel, wildlife, news/events. I find the features it has are extremely useful to me, including but not limited to its continuous shooting mode speed. The enhanced weather protection is good, its battery with its ability to work longer in cold weather, and integrated the grip (including in bad weather) are all good pluses. I would have purchased the grip for the D800, (I've had vertical grips on all my DSLR's, and SLRs for years.) so the price differential is $6,000-$3,450=$2,550 not $3,000. The extra ISO is nice, but not that important in my choice. The size of the new wireless transmitter for the D4 is also very appealing to me. The backlit button feature is very welcome as I do a lot of night work (OK, I could continue to use my small LED flashlight.).

The pixel difference is not as important to me as the speed. The D4 has more pixels than my former primary, the D700, so I'm somewhat ahead even with the D4, and the number of pixels in the D700 was very rarely a limitation for me.

I will likely eventually get a D800 or its replacement, for other uses, but for now, my primary is a D4 with the D700 as backup.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

A topic tagged as having a question D4 or D800 or both and why? [View all] , MATTMIKE , Mon 28-May-12 02:08 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D4 or D800 or both and why?