Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

To D4x or not to D4x?

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"To D4x or not to D4x?"

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Fri 11-May-12 03:33 AM | edited Fri 11-May-12 03:38 AM by ZoneV

That is the million dollar question (literally, as Nikon's revenue is being projected as hitting insane new levels next fiscal year).

A lot of people have speculated that the D800 being 36MP means there won't be a D4x. Defnitely a posibility, I'd say.

But consider this:

D1x - 5.5MP
D2x - 12MP
D3x - 24 MP

Nikon has doubled the MP of their "x" model each time. That would put a hypothetical D4x at 48MP.

Will Nikon do it? I don't know. There are rumors that the current D3x is soon to be discontinued.

If they get rid of the D3x and don't do a D4x, they have effectively reduced their product line by one camera (from 7 bodies to 6). Now, many people are predicting that Nikon is also going to eliminate the non-gripped pro DX body (D300s) from the lineup without replacement. If they do that, they will be down to just 5 bodies (3 pro bodies counting the older D700, and 2 not counting it). That doesn't sound right.

There are rumors now of a D600 low-level FX body (perhaps even 24MP FX like the D3x) being announced at or before Photokina this year. If this happens, Nikon would have 6 bodies, still one short.

So here is what I'm proposing: If you see a D300s replacement announced (in addition to a D600) I'd say the chance of seeing a D4x drops a bit.

Would Nikon have 8 bodies in their lineup? Possible. After all, the D4 is a bit lower in MP than many thought it would be (people were expecting 20MP). So maybe a 48MP counterpart arriving next year isn't so far-fetched. If such a D4x comes, I'd guess it would be $8000 once again. Just a thought. Or, maybe the super high-res "x" really is going away. We'll just have to wait and see.

Personally, I'm eyeing the D3x as its price steadily drops on the used market.

Nikon user since 2000

A general, generic topic To D4x or not to D4x? [View all] , ZoneV Silver Member , Fri 11-May-12 01:33 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: To D4x or not to D4x?