Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D1 original, still worth buying?

vfnewman

Forest, US
4325 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D1 original, still worth buying?"

vfnewman Awarded for his multiple contributions to Resources Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Basic Member
Sun 16-Jun-02 01:18 PM

I agree completely. You need to get the flash right the first time. Photoshop Elements does have a nice way of rescuing shots that need, or didn't get enough, fill flash (you can also make an equivalent action in PS), but it's really no substitute for proper fill flash.

I just got done shooting dozens, if not hundreds of shots of awards being given out in an outdoor setting. There were very harsh shadows, and flash was a must. My SB-28 worked extremely well in "A" mode. Best of all, by setting the "highlights" option on the D1, I could do a couple test shots to see if I was getting blown-out highlights, and then check a shot every so often. By setting the camera to 1/2 f-stop higher than the flash I got consistently excellent results. I was also glad that the D1 can synch a little faster than my F5. It was very bright out and the camera was picking a shutter speed over 1/250 frequently.

Victor Newman

My Nikonians Gallery

www.nikonians.org - Worldwide Home for Nikon Photographers

A topic tagged as having a question D1 original, still worth buying? [View all] , lordnikon , Sat 15-Jun-02 08:51 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D1 original, still worth buying?