Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D1 original, still worth buying?

Nikon_eye

Ann Arbor, US
381 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D1 original, still worth buying?"

Nikon_eye Basic Member
Sat 15-Jun-02 01:04 PM

Aaron,

That is a good question to which there is no easy answer. The D1 is obsolescent but nowhere nearly as useless as a 166 MZ Intel 486 PC.

At present the D100 looks like an intriguing and very good advanced amateur (prosumer??) digital SLR, probably well worth the $2000. On the other hand, I would not trade my old and somewhat battered D1 for it on an even basis. For starters, the D100 lacks a FireWire (1394) output and can't accept GPS NEAMA location information (D1x). The higher resolution CCD and apparently lower pixel noise (for a given ISO setting) and the lighter weight of the D100 are the main advantages.

My D1 is currently two and a quarter years old and at present on loan in the hands of a good friend and great sports car racing photographer, Bob Chapman III, at Le Mans 24 hour race in France. That absence has forced me to reflect on the value (and worth) of this tool to me. I've made some 17,703 exposures sofar and plan to
use it for another couple of years and additional 17,500 frames. At that point the exposure cost of the body will be about 12.5 cents / frame and I'll look to purchase a D2 or D3. I'm waiting for some real improvements before I shell out a significant amount for the next real Nikon. Till then, my familiar if obsolescent D1 will serve.

Cheers,

Gottfried

http://ghogh.net/BRBS_IV/BRBS4_1099.jpg

ZeeBee, my Boxster on a foggy Grandfather Mountain, Blue Ridge Parkway, NC USA

frame no: 17410
file name: ... D1:take29 SC_1099.JPG
date / time: 2002:06:08 07:50:30
lens: AF-S 52.0mm, f/8.5
shutter: 1/250 sec.
CCD sensitivity: ISO 400
compression: FINE

A topic tagged as having a question D1 original, still worth buying? [View all] , lordnikon , Sat 15-Jun-02 08:51 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D1 original, still worth buying?