Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ChuckDiggins

Boulder, US
457 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: New X3 sensor"

ChuckDiggins Basic Member
Mon 13-May-02 12:39 AM

From the Foveon description of the X3 chip, it appears to be much better than a typical 3.43 meg chip. Instead of dealing with all 3 colors on the same plane and having to interpolate between, the X3 directly records all 3 colors onto their own 3.43 meg layer. The way I think about it, is if you look at the way any one color is handled on a typical CCD, such as the D100's, then the resolution is pretty low. Interpolation algorithms are used to fill-in the missing pixels for that color. These algorithms, no matter how clever, will never approach direct measurement. If it isn't already, the X3 CMOS has the potential to be a superior technology to standard CCDs.

I hope Nikon seriously considers it.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic New X3 sensor [View all] , acphoto , Sat 04-May-02 04:17 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New X3 sensor