Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Infrared and Nikon D100

nfoto

Oslo, NO
145 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Infrared and Nikon D100"

nfoto Basic Member
Thu 13-Jun-02 05:20 AM

Coolpix 5000 has some IR sensitivity, but there is a troublesome "hot spot" in the IR images which likely is caused by internal reflection in the optics. IR image quality isn't great in optical terms either.

The camera engineers obviously try to reduce IR sensitivity of all new digital models, whether they are point & shoot or SLR models. Thus, among the D1-series, D1 has the best IR sensitivity (but with a potentially troublesome banding noise), while D100 is just passable (but with low noise). You are definitively on your own if you want to shoot IR with such cameras, and forget about using the Wratten 87 filter because the CCD isn't responding well enough with this strong filter, use 89B instead.

On the other hand, reduced IR sensitivity means that shooting in UV might be easier and indeed D1H is *the* best digital camera for UV work (in fact, I bought it just for digital UV photography).

I will update my website www.naturfotograf.com with a massive section on digital UV and IR photography in the near future, so stay tuned.

A general, generic topic Infrared and Nikon D100 [View all] , markalan , Wed 01-May-02 04:24 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Infrared and Nikon D100