Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
beverett

US
477 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: He's at it again..."

beverett Basic Member
Sat 04-May-02 07:28 PM

BJ,

Thanks for your response to the Reichmann article. I, too, am a reader of his site and find it an excellent site done rightly ( changing the content daily for example) and since landscape work is a primary interest of mine, I appreciate the Luminous Landscape. Having said that, however, I must say that sometimes Michael can be a bit much. He has been around a long time ( so have I) and often takes a bit of an elevated view of his opinions. His reviews of Canon gear often reflect that.
I agree with you that his implication that a six mp camera can equal a film medium format camera is over the top. About a year ago, I bought a new MF camera for the express purpose of making 16 x 20 enlargments of some of my work. Mostly I use my Nikon for landscape work, but on a few occasions, when the subject matter begs for it, I will haul out the Mamiya and make some Provia 100 transparencies. If an image really turns out to be good, I have a drum scan made of the MF image and order up a laser print. I don't know about anybody else, but I sure can see the difference! I use my own Nikon Coolscan IV to scan 35mm slides, just for the record.

In spite of what I do now, I can tell you I think digital is the future and just yesterday I put down a deposit on the forthcoming D100.It will be good I am sure, but I have no illusions that it will exceed or equal a good transparency made by any high quality medium format camera.
I do believe that in the next five years we will see 15-20 mp cameras that will make using film questionable. But, until then, using the mixed bag of cameras we have now makes the most sense to me.

Bob

This is a hot, active topic! He's at it again... [View all] , BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources , Tue 30-Apr-02 10:36 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: He's at it again...
                    Reply message Norman Koren's site...
                         Reply message RE: Norman Koren's site...
     Reply message Hi Scott...