Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
spacer

DE
1690 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: He's at it again..."

spacer Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic Member
Fri 03-May-02 03:08 PM

BJ, As far as I can tell, everybody got your point.

For sure, Reichmanns article puts a lot of hype on the digital format and it might be misleading if you are simply browsing through the article (digital equals medium format), but I'm sure everybody would read any sources carefully before making any decisions whether to go digital or not.

Medium Format is far superior to 35 mm or digital when it comes down to making big enlargements. And the ability to go for bigger enlargements would be the only reason to deal with the inconveniences of the medium format (or even large format) as far as I can see.
But I think it is still valid to compare the picture quality at smaller sizes - no matter if it makes a lot of sense or not. It's kind of like comparing a small sized passenger car with a high performance sports car. As long as you stick to the 55 mph limit you could argue the passenger car can compete with the sports car. For sure people buy the more expensive sport cars for several reasons, but I can't imagine anybody who has the bucks buys expensive medium format and not taking advantage of the resolution.

In a true max size capability test of the different formats I believe the current 6MP digital ones getting close to 35 mm format and the next generation of digital cameras might surpass 35mm.

Just an indication how great this site is: Always having stirred up new ideas and getting the attention focused on points that slipped my mind. I'm already so 'digitized' that in all my comparissons I forgot the direct film to paper wet process..

Have a nice day

Andreas

Andreas

Learn more about me and the Nikonians team on ourTeam Page.

This is a hot, active topic! He's at it again... [View all] , BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources , Tue 30-Apr-02 10:36 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: He's at it again...
                    Reply message Norman Koren's site...
                         Reply message RE: Norman Koren's site...
     Reply message Hi Scott...