Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is the 80-400mm VR durable?

DaveDosch

San Diego, US
453 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Is the 80-400mm VR durable?"

DaveDosch Basic Member
Wed 01-May-02 12:12 AM

The 80-400mm VR is a very durable lens. Hey, it's survived a year of abuse from me so far! And that says a lot. Exposed to salt water spray, sand, being tossed around and generally abused. I don't think I would recommend getting the lens too wet, but I've taken it out in drizzling rain and stood along the shore where the lens has gotten splashed by salt water. It's been dropped on the beach. (No point in having a cool toy if you're afraid to use and abuse it... but as the TV shows used to say "don't try this at home") A little cleaning with a camel hair brush and a microfiber cloth has been all the care that it's needed so far. I expect that corrosion will eventually kill this lens in 5 - 10 years if terminal careless abuse doesn't get it first. (e.g. dropping it over the side of a boat or something similar.)

DaveDosch
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles.

DaveDosch
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles.

A general, generic topic Is the 80-400mm VR durable? [View all] , Jim Smith , Tue 30-Apr-02 01:12 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is the 80-400mm VR durable?