Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
genec57

St. Petersburg, US
219 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: exposure value"

genec57 Basic Member
Sun 06-Oct-02 12:38 PM

Adding it to your DX80 will increase only flash exposure. To increase ev at the camera you need to increase with the compensation setting on the D100.

Rather than blindly going with what you hear I would recommend that you be guided by what you see with the camera histogram. If you are seeing what you determine to be underexposure then by all means see what compensation will do for you.

The best advice I have found for exposure with digital is to expose for highlights and let shadows fall where they may. You can recover shadows quite nicely in post processing but blown highlights are gone forever.

I have a D1X but these principles hold for any camera. The histogram is an invaluable tool that I consistantly rely on to evaluate exposure. It saves my butt constantly. With film I almost always bracketed my exposures. With digital I practically never bracket. If the histogram looks good and there are no important blown highlights I go to the next shot with confidence.

Happy shooting,
Gene

A general, generic topic exposure value [View all] , abcphoto , Sun 06-Oct-02 06:40 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: exposure value