Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Photo lab printing from digital? - workflow help

eddyprice

Flagstaff, US
68 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Photo lab printing from digital? - workflow help"

eddyprice Basic Member
Wed 16-Jan-08 01:01 PM

I need advice on workflow. For the past 6 weeks I've been happy creating images for web display and have saved work as sRGB color and JPEG format. Now I'd like to make some prints in addition to having images saved for web viewing. That seems to complicate everything!

I would like advice on printing at labs (Ofoto seems to be recommended, also Fuji frontier labs) from my digital files. I would like to make mostly 5x7" prints, occasionally going up to 11x14 or so. I like the convenience of Ofoto since I can upload images and have friends/family order prints if they choose. Sending out to labs seems more convenient then buying a home printer since I won't often make prints and I'd like to keep my expenses down.

I'm using a D1 and typically shoot in JPEG, although sometimes use RAW for superior image color balance control. I import images in Nikon Capture 2, then transfer to Photoshop 6 using the Nikon Adobe RGB 4.0.0.3000 colorspace to maximize colors for printing. For monitor color management I'm somewhat limited - I have an IBM T22 laptop.

So, my question for all knowledgeable readers is - what are your workflow procedures - color management, workspace and final file format for images you'd like to both view and print from labs?

Thanks for your advice!

Following is a typical example of what I shoot. This was while riding in Moab 9/29.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

A general, generic topic Photo lab printing from digital? - workflow help [View all] , eddyprice , Wed 16-Jan-08 12:01 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Photo lab printing from digital? - workflow help
Reply message RE: Photo lab printing from digital? - workflow help