Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Shouldn't the D1 series of Bodies have a different home...

henry

New York, US
391 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Quick update, pictures to follow later this week"

henry Basic Member
Wed 19-Dec-01 01:18 AM

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-01 AT 03:34 AM (GMT)

I think that's not the best way to compare two such different format cameras.

The method you suggested are good for comparing which gives you a better DIGITAL image: a scanner or a digital camera from the same lens. It is not good to compare how high reso the D1 has in comparison with a negative, unless you print it, that is.

First of all, the monitor can't display all the good fine details in a TIFF file no matter how you scanned or created it in the first place. A tiff will look the same like a maximized JPG or a bitmap. But their print out is totally different. I am a designer on the side and I had been working with TIFFs and related printing issues, it's a totally different idea from web page images. Sure a 72 ppi image might look nice and sharp from a certain digicam, how about printing at 8 by 10? 14 by 16? 20 by 24?

Also, D1 is a digital camera, it takes digital images, that means it's the most direct method to make a digital image. But your film will go through a processor then a scanner that has it's own limitations, like what model will you use, how good was the resolution? Do you have the proper eyes and monitor calibration to make sure it looks "good." Also, what film did you used? What kinds of subject was that film for? People? Landscapes??

So at the end I think we'll end up with one of the three results: film wins, digital wins, or both are same. We all know these three answers are partially wrong, if not completely.

If you, however, want to compare their print out results, which then again is affected by so many things, for example, printing the film from a lab is totally different from printing with your desktop or cmyk processing from a professional lab.

I don't know why so many people and magazines wanted to do such tests. I think partially it's just editors trying to justify a certain product . But I feel that these tests have absolutely no real evidence on how each is different or better. They are two totally different formats. Kind of like comparing pants and jackets and see which one is better.

But people like to read them and drool over them. Sigh...

Sincerely,
Henry

a californian's {quest in} new york
http://www.zucken.com

-----
a californian's {quest in} new york:
http://www.zucken.com

and my photo site:

http://www.weddingsconcept.com

This is a hot, active topic! Shouldn't the D1 series of Bodies have a different home... [View all] , hilld , Wed 28-Nov-01 03:29 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Shouldn't the D1 series of Bodies have a different ...
          Reply message Ok - so who will do the Moderator Dance?
               Reply message RE: Ok - so who will do the Moderator Dance?
                         Reply message Quick update, pictures to follow later this week
                              Reply message RE: Quick update, pictures to follow later this week
                                                  Reply message Pictures are posted
                                                  Reply message New thread