Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Shouldn't the D1 series of Bodies have a different home...

hilld

Tigard, US
89 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Shouldn't the D1 series of Bodies have a different home..?"

hilld Basic Member
Thu 29-Nov-01 01:53 AM

I will gladly post my comments regarding the D1X here (maybe it's new home) and let you know what I think, what problems/quirks I run into and my overall comment regarding the quality of the digital files and/or prints, whatever they get printed on (ink jet, thermal dye or other processes such as the one used by pictopia.com ).

I have lost a few images due to a problem that was supposed to have been addressed in the firmware of this camera. If pictures are still in the buffer (not written to CF) and you turn the camera off, the pictures are lost - it happened twice. First I thought, I must have deleted some of the pictures by accident, but after it happened a second time and I am sure I didn't delete any pictures, I read the Complete Nikon Guide to the D1, D1H and D1X by Thom Hogan and it listed that this was a known problem with the D1 and shouldn't be the case in the D1X. I am sad to report, that I lost some images (glad they were just shots around the house in the back yard with the kids and dog) not a critical situation such as a wedding or any other type of shooting assignment.

The other issue I am running into is where to put all the files. My laptop has a 12GB HD, recently had as much as 10GB free, but today (two weeks after using the camera), I am down to 3GB free...damn those NEF (raw) files are addicting, but when converted to TIFF files they take up a little more that 30MB of disk space each. Next thing you know 100 pictures just took up 3GB of disk space.

I am giving the camera the ultimate test this weekend, my wife and I are heading to Yosemite carrying way toooooo much gear, I will be bringing my F100, D1X, 80-200 2.8D, 28-70 2.8 AFS, 18-35 3.5-4.5D, tripod, monopod and tons of film (both real and CF type). I will be shooting prints, slides and digifiles, going to compare my results (velvia, provia 100f, portra 160VC, portra 400VC and supra 100 & 400). She will be bringing her F100, 70-180 Micro Nikkor, 60 2.8 Micro, 50 1.4D and her favorite travel lens 28-200 Nikkor (I know not to many people rave over this lens, but she loves it, is mostly satisfied with her pictures and doesn't complain about having to lug around too much gear).

We just hope that it won't be blizzard conditions as we are currently storming away in "not so sunny California".

Once again, I cannot say how much I appreciate a site like this, I have learned some valuable things and will be putting some of this knowledge to work this coming weekend in the ultimate setting.

Derek

I came, I saw, I took a picture

I came, I saw, I took a picture

This is a hot, active topic! Shouldn't the D1 series of Bodies have a different home... [View all] , hilld , Wed 28-Nov-01 03:29 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Shouldn't the D1 series of Bodies have a different ...
          Reply message Ok - so who will do the Moderator Dance?
               Reply message RE: Ok - so who will do the Moderator Dance?
                         Reply message Quick update, pictures to follow later this week
                              Reply message RE: Quick update, pictures to follow later this week
                                                  Reply message Pictures are posted
                                                  Reply message New thread