Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
darrellyoung

881 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Film or Digital?"

darrellyoung Registered since 21st Apr 2006
Wed 25-Sep-02 03:58 AM

Deven,

"...when I see a camera with 4 fps, 11mp, full size sensor, and a $2000 price from Nikon, I'll give it a try."

I think you'll see that camera in about one year, or maybe even less! The market is swinging toward digital in a big way. Even Wal-Mart is providing digital printing these days.

I am finding my F5 has been gathering dust recently. The D100 is so much more convenient, and so much less costly to use. I love the camera. It has freed me to shoot and shoot and shoot until I am sick of shooting.

As to storage, you DO need to buy some big hard drives. I just installed a 120 Gig drive on my computer to go along with the two 60 gig drives currently there. I'll be okay for at least a few weeks.

As to how long the images will last. Well, digital will outlast film for this reason. A digital image will never degrade. Each successive storage medium that comes out will simply be used to copy your images over to. I cannot even begin to imagine expecting a CD to last 75 years. Within 75 years my great grandkids will be able to carry every image I ever shot in their wrist watch for instant review. (or maybe in the Microsoft chip implanted in their pre-frontal brain lobe)

At this time, I keep multiple copies of my recent images with various members of my family. Tell me how you could possibly keep the ORIGINAL image in multiple places with film, like you can with digital?

Now, let me qualify my bold and brash statements with a mention that I too still love film, and take my F5 out on special occasions to shoot. I only attempt to capture the very best of images with my F5 and Provia now. I do NOT waste film any more. My F5 has become "special," while my D100 has become my daily carry camera. My F5 is most likely the last film camera that I will ever buy. (Haven't seen the F6 yet, though, heh heh)

http://www.bigmerchant.com/nikonians/haley.jpg
(D100, On-Camera Matrix D-TTL Flash (front curtain), 24-85G EDIF lens, Adobe RGB, Auto WB)

This is a hot, active topic! Film or Digital? [View all] , dukebeau Silver Member , Tue 24-Sep-02 05:38 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Film or Digital?
Reply message It's all about workflow...