Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
N80

Rock Hill, US
8778 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D1 vs CP5000"

N80 Silver Member Charter Member
Sat 24-Nov-01 01:09 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look at these sites but my issue really isn't with film vs. digital. I'm already sold on the concept of digital but don't see a confluence of form/performance/price that inspires me to take the plunge. I am hopeful that in the future it will occur and that Nikon will be there. I just don't see evidence that Nikon is considering what I, as a typical N80 user, expect from a digital camera. I am assuming that the N80 has been a money maker for Nikon but I don't know it for a fact. I also assume that the typical N80 user is someone who has gotten serious about photography and in general isn't going to be satisfied with the more poit-and-shoot like digital cameras regardless of the resolution. Why would I pay twice the price of my N80 for a digital camera (CP5000) that is debatably half as capable as my N80? And why, if I'm the type of hobbiest that would buy an N80 and not an F5, would I buy a D1at twice the price of the F5. Now, believe me, I'm not knocking any of these cameras, its just that I don't see a digital, a Nikon digital that is, that sufficiently taps into the market of N80 buyers. My two assumptions may be wrong however and 1) The N80 buyer may not represent a significant market segment for Nikon and 2) I may not have the typical N80 user stereotyped sufficiently and the CoolPix line may sell just fine for these photographers. Nevertheless, even as a potentially atypical N80 user I find myself looking outside the Nikon fold for my digital wish list. ( And for the record, I have a little Fuji 1.3MP camera, my son's actually, and I am not planning on buying a serious digital until the form/performance/price point is met to my requirements. I'm betting it will be at least 2-3 years.

Oh, before I completely condemn Nikon of failing to tap into a market (armchair VP for marketing that I am) I suspect that the CoolScan IV is the digital answer for many N80 users and that has worked well....I bought one!

George (N80)
http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~gebarron/photography/

George Barron

My Nikonians Gallery is here:
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1091

A general, generic topic D1 vs CP5000 [View all] , N80 Silver Member , Tue 20-Nov-01 12:35 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D1 vs CP5000