Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Ed

US
1618 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon Flash Myth?"

Ed Basic Member
Wed 16-Jan-08 01:01 PM

I've shot years using either Vivitar 283 or 285 before I owned my first TTL flash (SB-24) in 1989. Both indoors and outdoors with fill flash. I currently still use an SB-22s in "A" mode on my FM2n, a nice light and compact package. Frankly I can't see a difference between my TTL shots and my non-TTL auto shots both from the past and current. And the reason for that is, for most subjects, "auto" flash still works.

Slow sync? That's a fancy term somebody coined for something people have been doing even with Vivitars and manual cameras. We used to call it "dragging the shutter". I don't see how it can be any easier with TTL. My default shutter speed for years was 1/15 sec indoors with flash, never 1/60 sec. What Nikon has done was limit the user to 1/60 sec to avoid user errors in flash situations but use a low enough shutter speed to still get some of the ambient or background light on film. At the same time, Nikon gave us the override feature to go below 1/60 sec (by obeying the metered ambient light) and called it "slow sync". Whoopee.

From this summer, FM2 with SB-22s in non-TTL "A" mode. -1 stop fill flash. Shutter speed and aperture unrecorded (I used Sunny 16 and adjusted it for the light).

Ed

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Nikon Flash Myth? [View all] , glasseye , Mon 16-Sep-02 09:33 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Flash Myth?