Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Future Lense requirments ?

AlanC

UK
2700 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Future Lense requirments ?"

AlanC Basic Member
Fri 13-Sep-02 02:32 PM

I think you've made a good decision - but then I would because it's what I did in the same situation.

If you look at the performance of one particular lens - say the 80-200mm f/2.8 - through its various incarnations you'll see that the latest AF-S version hasn't changed much in terms of optical quality over previous versions, so it would seem a speculative future lens that made significant performance improvements over current versions would be massively expensive. I think your investment in high quality lenses should be a safe one.

The areas where you might be cutting yourself off from future developments are more associated with usability: the inclusion of technologies such as AF-S and VR which now seem to be appearing in more of the range, and the possibility of more compact long focal length lenses that use diffractive optical elements. (Yes, that's a link to you-know-who. )

Alan.

A general, generic topic Future Lense requirments ? [View all] , Hartmut Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 , Fri 13-Sep-02 04:38 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Future Lense requirments ?