Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

On the fence... a D1 or a couple AF-S lenses

timmy

Rochester, US
52 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: On the fence... a D1 or a couple AF-S lenses"

timmy Basic Member
Tue 23-Jan-01 11:30 PM

A difficult question. I've been thinking of the D1 since it was announced nearly a year ago. Two weeks ago, I was able to borrow one for a weekend. I used it with an N80 and Proneia 6i and my 80~400 VR lens to take "similar" images at our local zoo. The 35mm (AGFAchrome) and APS films were scanned to PhotoCD. I used the BASE*4 (1536x1024) resolution images to compare with the D1's 2000x1312. I "cut and pasted" and then printed onto A3 size on my Epson 1270 printer. The 2 "film" images were clearly superior to the D1's and PhotoCD has 1 "higher" resolution file (3072x2048).

My conclusion is that the D1 will not come close to replacing film for my needs.

However, for "editorial/photojournalism" applications, it's fantastic. Image access time is digital photography's strength. The ability to have B&W or color from the same image is "a piece of cake". A 64MB card is around 40 exposures. If you only take 12 pictures, they can be downloaded and erased from the card.

The Kodak scanner is "darn good". In fact, I was almost ready to part with $1400 for one when Nikon announced their 4000 and 8000 models. I'm very interested in trying the 8000 since it can also scan 120 size film.

A general, generic topic On the fence... a D1 or a couple AF-S lenses [View all] , johnencinas , Sun 31-Dec-00 03:39 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: On the fence... a D1 or a couple AF-S lenses