Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

On the fence... a D1 or a couple AF-S lenses

Rick Wiese

61 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: On the fence... a D1 or a couple AF-S lenses"

Rick Wiese Basic Member
Fri 05-Jan-01 09:07 AM

Hi John,

Just wanted to toss my two cents worth in. Let me say right off that if it were me, I would go with the lenses. No question. I shoot sports for a newspaper and they just bought us a D1 to use. It's a great camera, but aside from the convenience of not having to come back to the office and process film, I'd still rather shoot with my F3. But my F3 has become an old friend and it's probably just me. You said you were considering getting a teleconverter to turn your 80-200 into a 160-400. One big advantage of the D1 is that simply by mounting it on the camera, you've turned it into a 120-300 -- with no loss of lens speed. This can come in very handy shooting at long distances in low light situations. After buying the D1, our lens budget was very limited. I picked us up a Tokina AT-X 28-70 2.6-2.8 on eBay for about $300 and we're investing another $700 in a used Nikkor 80-200 2.8. For the time being, we've been using my Tokina 80-200 2.8 manual focus with it and the results have been excellent. Anyway, if you decide to go with the D1, you might check around on eBay or someplace and pick up something similar to the Tokina I found. I hope whatever decision you make turns out for the best.

Happy shooting!
Rick

A general, generic topic On the fence... a D1 or a couple AF-S lenses [View all] , johnencinas , Sun 31-Dec-00 03:39 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: On the fence... a D1 or a couple AF-S lenses