Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Do I need all those pixels?

RRowlett

Hamilton, US
1258 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Do I need all those pixels?"

RRowlett Gold Member Charter Member
Sun 01-Sep-02 04:55 PM

In a word...yes. Inkjet prints (and other print media, too) benefit from having more pixels to print with to as much at 360 ppi. In JPEG mode, fine compression (about 1:6) has very few artifacts, although you will spot them at high magnification in the right images. In normal compression (about 1:12) these artifacts become more noticeable, and with basic compression (about 1:18) they are quite objectionable.

You can get fine output from the D100 in both JPEG and RAW modes, although it is slightly more challenging to get the best out of the JPEG mode. I would not sell short the JPEG mode, however, as it is more economical of space, it can be written to memory much, much faster, and it allows firing 6 continuous frames rather than the 2-3 in the RAW mode. Just like any camera, there is no one "best" setting, only the most useful settings for your particular application. I use the fine JPEG mode a lot, but do gravitate to the RAW (NEF) mode for certain shots where I want to be assured of getting the most out of the image.

Cheers.

A general, generic topic Do I need all those pixels? [View all] , Joe M , Sun 01-Sep-02 02:32 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Do I need all those pixels?