Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Please review my article for accuracy!

darrellyoung

881 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Please review my article for accuracy!"

darrellyoung Registered since 21st Apr 2006
Thu 29-Aug-02 05:44 PM

Whew!

I could have survived this better if I had been insulting everyone's grandmother or something.

I have seen the light! This is indeed my first digital camera, other than a cheap Kodak, and my wife's CoolPix 990. I have been primarily a 35mm shooter with my beloved Nikon F5, until now!

In deference to those of you more expert than myself, I have stepped back and reexamined my article from the standpoint of the 10,000 e-mails I received immediately upon starting this thread. I rewrote it with much more balance than before, and giving a much better light to JPEG and TIFF modes.

http://www.nikond.com/articles/ImagesRaw.htm

I still am not a died in the wool native mode JPEG shooter, because I have seen how much nicer my RAW image conversions from Photoshop 6.0 look in comparison to camera generated JPEGS. Plus, I own a big pile of IBM one-gigabyte microdrives. And, I just love post-processing images.

I think that there's a big difference in a professionals and an advanced amateur's look at this subject. A PRO has a real workflow, and has to get the job done RIGHT NOW, with maximum quality in the allotted time. I agree that JPEG is most capable in that respect, and makes a very nice image.

Myself, being merely a lover of photography, and having the luxury of a more leisurely workflow, really would prefer to lovingly handle my own images in my own way. I do not want ANY of my original images tampered with, any more than I want to find little bugs eating my Provia transparencies. RAW mode is the closest thing to a reusable piece of film that I can get in digital. If I were a Moose Peterson, or any one of you professionals who are actually making a living with your cameras, I suppose I would seriously reconsider JPEG as a primary shooting mode.

As it is, I am merely a highly opinionated amateur photographer/writer, trying to accumulate enough digital images to sell some stock photos. I love this D100. It has opened up new aspects of photography to me. I am taking hundreds of images per week with this new tool. Maybe someday soon, I'll be a PRO also.

http://bigmerchant.com/nikonians/BuildingsJuxta.jpg

I am so happy with the camera that I am trying to write articles about it and digital photography in general. Am I yet an expert... well... probably not, but I do have some really good research material in the Internet, and some really intelligent Nikonians to keep me in line.

What have we accomplished in this thread other than filling up my e-mail box with letter bombs and stern lectures? I think we have accomplished a lot! I now have a more palatable and balanced article, with still a good dollop of opinion, but more usuable information. And, we have all enjoyed each other's company in discussing a controversial issue.

http://www.nikond.com/articles/ImagesRaw.htm

If you still see issues with my article, I would welcome your comment. When this article is finally done, with a bunch of pictures, hopefully it will be of some benefit to mankind.

May we ALL keep learning together!

A general, generic topic Please review my article for accuracy! [View all] , darrellyoung , Wed 28-Aug-02 10:10 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Please review my article for accuracy!