Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Please review my article for accuracy!

vfnewman

Forest, US
4325 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Please review my article for accuracy!"

vfnewman Awarded for his multiple contributions to Resources Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Basic Member
Thu 29-Aug-02 11:55 AM

Let's take a couple steps back here. This is getting confusing.

1. After looking at your article again, I think it looks more like a treatise that turns into an editoral. You start talking about different file options and end up with quite an anti-jpg slant. You should focus on it being one or the other.

2. This thread is straying from the origial request of a critique of your article. Do we still want to talk about the article, which has a great deal of good potential, by the way, or why you think jpg is bad?

As far as the links in response #6 I don't see anything shocking. JPG is a lossy compression scheme, no doubt about it. And manipulating and re-saving a jpg will cause more loss. That's why the best way to handle jpgs is to open the original and save it as a tiff or psd and THEN work on it, resaving as you go in a lossless format.

By the way, what exactly is your workflow and what software are you using for adjustments and printing? For the jpgs you were not happy with, how did you perform the sharpening. Photoshop's USM is not the ideal route. What are you using for a printer? I have shot plenty of jpgs on my D100, which with a little sharping in PS, and printed on an EPSON 1270 through QImage are absolutely gorgeous and sharp. You ARE shooting your jpgs in the Fine mode, right?

Victor Newman

My Nikonians Gallery

www.nikonians.org - Worldwide Home for Nikon Photographers

A general, generic topic Please review my article for accuracy! [View all] , darrellyoung , Wed 28-Aug-02 10:10 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Please review my article for accuracy!