Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Please review my article for accuracy!

darrellyoung

881 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Please review my article for accuracy!"

darrellyoung Registered since 21st Apr 2006
Wed 28-Aug-02 04:58 PM

Scott,

Tell me please, what particular statements do you object to? Is it primarily the statements about the JPEG issue, or others?

I do know that Moose Peterson and others always use JPEG mode, and I understand why. I, too, like the high speed writes and higher capacity on my microdrives that JPEG gives me. Even Moose Peterson admits in his D1x review that he does not need "large files." That may well be the point of disagreement here. I DO need large files, the bigger the better, which is why I look down on JPEG. Maybe I should not be so adamant about it though.

Anyway, I just shot 177 images at a face painting session and at home found it much more difficult to get high quality results out of the JPEG images at 8" x 12" 300dpi printing resolutions. In other words, if I took a RAW image and compressed it to a JPEG with Photoshop, it looked great and was easy to sharpen. But if I took a camera prepared JPEG and tried to use it for sharpening purposes it did not perform nearly as well. I could not get the razor edge look in their eyes and hair that I so love.

I enlarged the images to an equivalency of and 8 x 12 size print at 300 DPI, and found a MUCH "grainier" look to the image.

Has anyone else had this experience?

A general, generic topic Please review my article for accuracy! [View all] , darrellyoung , Wed 28-Aug-02 10:10 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Please review my article for accuracy!