Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New D1h on its way...

SzennyBoy

London, UK
2818 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: New D1h on its way..."

SzennyBoy Awarded for his shared hands-on experience in macro photography within the community forums and the Resources Registered since 28th Jan 2002
Fri 23-Aug-02 07:40 AM

Thank all for the much needed heads-up on all these issues...

Tom & Gene -
Thanks for the advice on the Speedlight compatibility checks. I guess to get the most out of the system, I will have to go get the DX Speedlight especially with me having to work thru' the night in the middle of the Gulf with only the flood lights available on the vessel! However, from what you guys are saying, all current non-DX Speedlights will not be fully compatible with the digital bodies. This will mean me having to take those old flash tables out from the drawers for calculating flash compensations on the SB-29 for close-ups.

AlanC, MelT & DrMark -
I presume from what you all have posted, the most important thing is the reliability of the compact flash card. I have heard/read about issues regarding accessing problems with the IBM Microdrives after people deleting images from the microdrive on the D1. Is that still a problem or was that remedied with the D1h/x? I might just get round with say 3 or 4 of those 256 Mbyte one for the moment.

To all -
Batteries... I think this is one of the most critical item on my list. From what I gather on this thread and from what I've dug-up during my research, there doesn't seem to be any AA battery holders available for the D1-series bodies. As a consequence of this, I'm now planning to go out with at least 3 spares plus the F100's MH-15 double lead quick charger. This is only because I will have to plan for working throughout the day (I have at time had to deal with 40~46 hour days!) and in all temperature conditions out at sea.

I will have a good chance to test it out proper next week on-site (picking up the body Tuesday morning and flying straight out Tuesday afternoon back on-site) but for the moment, I'm half anticipating but half not really wanting to have to deal with this at the moment. The pressures of work is really stressful!

Szen ARPS... A London Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic New D1h on its way... [View all] , SzennyBoy Awarded for his shared hands-on experience in macro photography within the community forums and the Resources , Thu 22-Aug-02 10:12 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New D1h on its way...