Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Commodore_Don

Cleveland, US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon D1x"

Commodore_Don Registered since 16th Aug 2002
Fri 16-Aug-02 04:02 PM

Mel,

I have all sharpening turned off in the camera. The reason for this is that when sharpening is applied, it can't be removed. Since different pictures and even different sizes and or uses (for example, a picture prepared for viewing on a computer monitor takes vastly different sharpening than a picture prepared for printing) of the same picture require different sharpening. I either use the USM in PS or nikSharpener Pro, a great PS plug-in program. I do the sharpening as the last step just prior to printing or resaving the picture with a new filename.

Most of the time, I leave the white balance set to "auto", although I have used custom, flourescent and incandescent settings on occassion. I do use another PS plug-in program, called iCorrect Pro, which does a great job for me of getting the colors right. Earlier this year I was taking some "work" photos of one of my employees with his rolling cart loaded with many cases of 12 oz. pop. (I operate 53 vending machines). Since the room where we were has many flourescent ceiling fixtures, I did a custom white balance using a very white piece of paper from my printer and adjusted for the flourescent bulbs and took my pictures with the natural light present. Just then, my Pepsi driver arrived and I asked him if I could photograph him loading his delivery cart at his truck. He agreed, so we went to the freight dock, which is under a roof, and I put my SB-28DX flash on the camera, because there was not enough light otherwise. I completely forgot to change the white balance, so the pictures were way off color when I later opened them in PS. Using iCorrect, a mouse click on the white in the Pepsi sign on the side of the truck and another on the black of a tire and you can't tell the difference between these "loused up by the photographer" photos and the ones I took indoors with the flourescent lighting.

D.L.E

A general, generic topic Nikon D1x [View all] , A D MINT , Thu 15-Aug-02 11:00 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D1x