Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Telephoto on a weight budget

jec6613

Norwalk, US
1315 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Telephoto on a weight budget"

jec6613 Registered since 12th Feb 2013
Tue 19-Feb-13 03:37 AM

So, I'm heading to the Galapagos in a few months, and I'm planning what to bring. Weight is definitely an issue - I'm given 44 lbs, all-in. That includes carrying system, clothes, everything, for a week. Needness to say, things are a bit tight.

For the rest of the kit, the body will tentatively be a D5200 or D7000 (not yet purchased), just because of weight and the extra pixels on target of DX. For lenses, the 18-55 DX and 55-200 DX pair because of their light weight. A 35 f/1.8 would be nice as well because I'm not going alone, but if it doesn't fit in the weight budget. Also, a P7100 with Fantasea housing for snorkeling.

With everything else, assuming I just have the P7100, D5200, batteries, charger, 18-55 and 55-200, and waterproof housing, that leaves me with five pounds (80 oz/2.3 kg) of weight to spare for other lenses and support systems. I'd like to bring the 35 f/1.8 as well, but that's 7 oz on its own and would bring my available weight down to 73 oz. Clearly, things are more than a bit tight!

My first thought was the 70-300 VR, but I was wondering if anybody knew of anything that has more reach than that: after all, I'm shooting wildlife. Price isn't an issue: less expensive lenses I'll just buy, and more expensive ones I'll rent.

Let me know your thoughts!

This is a hot, active topic! Telephoto on a weight budget [View all] , jec6613 , Tue 19-Feb-13 02:37 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Telephoto on a weight budget