Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Upgrading Lenses - Request for Recommendations

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Upgrading Lenses - Request for Recommendations"

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Tue 19-Feb-13 03:32 AM

I will also recommend the 70-200mm f/2.8 or f/4 for your sporting needs. However, I will recommend concidering an ultra wide angle for landscapes. I currently don't have one but am planning on either the 16-35vr or the 14-24 being as I'm using FX. Many good ultra wides are made for DX though, so you can look into those and get recommendations from those that have them. Tokina makes a 11-16 which is known to be good. And Sigma makes a 10-20 that is also known to be good. Also the Nikon's are known to be good also.

I feel the 18-105 kit lens is a good lens. Yes the 16-85 is a little better built and may give slightly better IQ if looking for it, but I felt the 18-105 was a good mid-zoom to have when I had my D7K. This was taken on that combo:

Click on image to view larger version

WB changed for colors. But came out well. Only reason to upgrade your mid-zoom is for faster glass, for a f/2.8 zoom, which would offer less zoom range. Something to also think about.

Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Upgrading Lenses - Request for Recommendations [View all] , johnnycrystal , Mon 18-Feb-13 07:50 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Upgrading Lenses - Request for Recommendations