Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Best Macro Lense For Food Photography

mfphoto1

Cincinnati, US
733 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Best Macro Lense For Food Photography "

mfphoto1 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005
Tue 19-Feb-13 04:19 PM

What exactly are you trying to get out of your food photography? I mean are you trying to capture the pattern in a slice of kiwi? or are you trying set a scene around a plate or item of food?

For the kiwi shot then yes a macro lens would work best. For the plate a short zoom would be the best option.

I can only think of one or two shots where I used a macro lens for food photography. When using my D300 I generally got my best shots with my 18-70mm. I haven't had an opportunity to shoot any food shots with my D800 but I think I would stay in the equivalent range lens wise so probably my 28-105mm.

If I was going to use a macro today, I would probably stick with the sigma 150mm that I recently purchased, because it lets me get 1:1 while at the same time allowing me some distance from my subject giving me room for lighting and creative angles.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Best Macro Lense For Food Photography [View all] , DinoCardelli , Sat 16-Feb-13 03:45 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Best Macro Lense For Food Photography